Pet Insurance in Evanston
Here at Fox Animal Hospital, a day doesn't go by without at least one of our clients asking whether pet insurance is worthwhile or not. This leads to other questions, too, such as “how much is it,” “what does it cover,” “how much will insurance reimburse me,” and “what company has the best policy”? There are indeed many companies out there selling pet insurance. We do not claim to be insurance experts, nor do we have any business affiliation with any company that would lead us to recommend one over another. However, we hope our opinion below helps you with your decision making.
Is Pet Insurance a Good Investment?
Our overall opinion is that we believe pet insurance is a very good investment for your pet. With the constant advancements in technologies for diagnostic and treatment options for pets, the cost of care can sometimes become a deterrent for clients to be able to afford the best recommendations for your pet. With insurance comes peace of mind that you will be able to afford the care your pet deserves.
Whole Pet with Wellness Insurance Policy
After we looked at several of the current available companies and their policies, we are impressed by the new policy from Nationwide Insurance called Whole Pet with Wellness. This one-of-a-kind policy includes coverage for:
- Wellness care, accidents, and illness
- Elective and preventative surgeries (spay, neuter, etc.).
- Medications, including heartworm, flea and tick preventatives
- All diagnostic testing (radiographs, ultrasounds, lab tests).
- Hereditary and congenital conditions
- Prescribed therapeutic diets and supplements
- Routine dental cleanings (which is very unusual for companies to offer coverage for)
Some of the other attractive features of the Whole Pet with Wellness insurance policy are listed below:
- The deductible of $100 or $250 is a one-time a year occurrence (most companies charge you the deductible for every occurrence each year, i.e. five visits = five deductibles).
- After the deductible is met, the payback to you for services is 90% of actual cost.
- The office call fee is covered (some companies do not cover it).
- There are no exclusions for problems that may commonly be seen in certain purebreds (a big plus!).
- The younger your pet is when insured, the lower the premium.
The only things not covered are standard for most policies, the most common being pre-existing conditions.
Overall, in our view, this is an excellent policy. For a free quote and more information, visit the Nationwide website.